May 25, 2008

Setbacks

So I have just gotten enough perspective on things to post an update. I just found out on Friday that first, the welder who agreed to fashion a motor mount didn't have time (for one reason or another). Understandable, but from Monday when he agreed to do it to Friday when I called to check up on things, I assumed he was working on it. Wish he would have called so I could arrange other things, but I think his issues were more than the usual excuses.

Alas, Wayne on the MAEEA list thankfully assured me that VWs of this type (note: not Type in the 'Type III' sense) don't need motor mount as the transaxles will support the weight of the transmission and DC motor. Thus, I am trusting his expertise as he has done multiple conversions of VWs and I have not done any....yet. So, while I wasted Friday morning running around to see if any metal fabricator could do this in the time I have left here (until Wednesday, since we move on Thursday), I was quite relieved to find out I can forgo a motor mount. I am still open to the extra support in the future (if I find it necessary for my needs), but I'm going to try it first without the rear tail mount (or, as called in Clymer's manual, the 'rear engine carrier').

Second, and much more frustrating (actually infuriating on Friday), my parts supplier (who will remain nameless) has now for a second time messed up my order and this is now the major reason why I am unable to finish the conversion before I move. I thought it ultimately would be my lack of experience and knowledge that would inhibit me finishing before we move. Thus, I have everything but my 2/0 cable, lugs, contactors, and my charger (which, as I was told the manufacturer hasn't finished producing it yet, is out of my suppliers hands). So, I am still a bit peeved about this, but this is providing me more time to do some incidental stuff. Well, all but one incidental thing - the cutting back of the drive shaft. Since I've no plasma saw, I don't have the tool to cut the end back off the drive shaft to the splines. So if anyone reading this has any suggestions, I am open to them. I will contact a few machnists around here and do some research though just to see if I can take care of this before we move.

Thankfully, I was able to use a 30-carbine blade on my circular saw to cut the 1/2" aluminum adapter plate, so that was a relief. I am just about done w/ the wiring of the not-battery-and-motor-related stuff (which I need 2/0 cable for - errrgh) and have found the instrumentation wires for the vehicle and properly hooked up the inertia wires so they work as they should (manufacturer instructions were for an ICE hookup and a bit confusing).

So, it looks like working on this in Kansas City is the only option. And since our house is a city lot plot, I've no real space like I have here (actually right now we've no garage space). Disappointing, but I think (read: hope) things will get going after we move in. Today and tomorrow I'm going to do some final assessments and figure out my stopping point until Early June (hopefully a week from tomorrow).

No comments: