May 18, 2008

Batteries secure

Finally a picture of the front of the car, here w/ 3 batteries secured much as the rear ones (w/ metal strapping underlaid w/ rubber to keep the metal away from the plastic) and overlaid w/ 1/2" MDF box I fashioned to keep the batteries covered. I didn't hinge the lid- I'll just slide it off when the batteries need attention. This way the seal is tight and I can ventilate the hydrogen gas that is generated during charging in a much more controlled manner. Having the batteries centered still allows for a lot of front boot space on either side of the box that I can use to put groceries, school stuff, etc. If you look just left of the right headlight, that's where the spare used to go and where I'll use for additional luggage space. More than likely the charger will go up next to the box, but I've enough space for that too.

I also pretty much completed enclosing the rear batteries, played around w/ the potbox a bit since that needs to be close to the accelerator cable, worked w/ the layout of the controller, contactors, etc by closely studying Bob's wiring schematic he provides in the manual (that is, Bob from EV of America in Wolfeboro, NH). Tomorrow I plan to finish the box, paint control board, buy wiring, fasten down the control board, and begin to wire things up (probably after I try and determine what is excess wire and what isn't). Not to mention, I need to clean up my workspace. Things can get messy really quick when I get to improvising this setup, since I am planning/executing simultaneously. Not ideal, would probably be better if I determined things ahead of time, but turns out that things are coming together this way well so far. With the wiring I'm going to be more systematic in my planning before execution since I really have little clue about electrical work. But, good time to learn...

No comments: