May 12, 2008

Possible heater solution

I've no idea if this is one of those crazy ideas that ends up setting your car on fire, but wow, ingenious solution for a problem I've yet to solve in my planning. How should I heat this car when I'll have no engine that is generating large amounts of heat? A hat and a coat - for me, that is. But, defrosting was another issue to consider that my hat/coat wouldn't solve. Here's a possible solution: a toaster heater: Instant heat, adjustable thermostat, simple wiring into the current heat sensor cable (plus a fuse for safety). May beat the hair dryer solution for a cheap fix as the ceramic heater idea is too expensive for me and my needs.


2 comments:

ullage said...

I like the heater idea. Will you use the native fan in the car to force air past it? As far as fire is concerned, maybe putting a screen or something that would keep all flammable materials off the filaments? It looks like it is coming along. I'll be following closely...

fungua mlango said...

Good call, a screen would also help dissipate and distribute heat evenly...