May 15, 2008

Materials collection

Today was mostly a day of errands. I got supplies for the rear battery box where I may end up getting 5 batteries between the wheel wells in the rear just behind the passenger seat. I also picked up the motor at the local mechanic's shop here so that is great news (though it wasn't great news that I was double charged for shipping, but EVA is taking care of it). Not to mention, the controller, potbox, shunt, heat sink, relay, and dc-dc converter also came, so I'm going to play around w/ control board design here before everyone gets up. I need to sleep (in order to kick this jetlag too), but these next two weeks that I have dedicated to this project is making sleep difficult (just look at when I tend to post to this blog - it is not a late night post but early morning).

I'm now getting to the major portions here that are going to require some labor time and serious consideration so that won't help in the sleep dept:

1. Shocks replacement for a smoother ride (I'm waiting on spring adjustment as I am not taking on too much extra weight in the back considering I lost the ICE and now will have a 160lb motor and 5 12v batteries @ 410lbs)
2. Brakes replacement (front drum pads for now)
3. Wheel bearing greasing and general wheel assembly inspection/ maintenance

All of these I hope to complete on Friday.

4. Motor mount fashioning

The adapter plate and coupler is set to come in next Wednesday, so next Thursday or Friday I am trying to have set aside for motor installation. I want this to be done and installed before we move on the 29th or 30th. The other option is to take the ICE to Upland Tire for scrap (why allow someone else to pollute more w/ it?) and before they scrap it, get them to remove the existing motor mount. That may actually be the simplest solution, and best probably to use the existing mount to ensure the transmission rides at the traditional height instead of having a new one fashioned. Maybe I'll take one last stab at getting it off myself on Friday or Saturday if I have time.

4. Controller board placement and wiring

This is going to be the fun part b/c the structuralist in me enjoys these puzzles. In this process I will get rid of excess wiring which I've hesitated to do thus far as I don't want to eliminate anything essential.

5. Front and back battery box design and construction.

This is going to be the onerous part as I've no idea how to organize the batteries in a way that provides boot space for daily use, either in front or back. Most EV battery placement (the welded undermounted varieties being the exceptions) eats up boot space. Which is fine I'm sure b/c it is not like this is the vehicle for hauling building materials. But, in principle, I'm trying to keep things simple and aesthetically (and hopefully functionally) organized. But, maybe the best way will be this: put 5 batteries themselves in the back between the wheel wells (perpendicular to the axles), secure them to the vehicle body w/ 1/2" MDF underneath them also mounted to the body, then fashion a box that slides on top then attaches to the body or the box itself. In front I'm hoping to put two batteries in the spare tire portion and then one (maybe two for a 108V system?) in the main boot portion. Unfortunately, this step will probably happen in Kansas City.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you Ken P.? Mainly I just delete EVDL lately so didn't get your original post. After 4 years of driving a type 3 fast back with a 1231 500amp controller alongside my friend with almost he exact same rig except with a 1221C..I'd say get the 1231 instead..you can upgrade up to 120v if/when smaller , more powerful batteries show up and it definately does better on freeways. Origninally I thought I;d been baited & switched but it was the best "accident" I have had