May 14, 2008

Battery placement

After getting the tires changed on our xB, I bought shocks and front brakes w/ the kids (then we got some coffee cake and a bagel!). After defeat w/ the tire lugs being stuck (I bent two bars trying to loosen them), today I will attempt to torch the bolts to heat them up and loosen them. Today the rear heavy duty shocks should be in so I may pick those up at some time. Nevertheless, yesterday (5 1/2hrs) was productive as I was able to remove the gas tank and all associated fuel components, removed the rear carpet as well as some random junk around the car, fashioned a board to replace where the gas tank was (front boot), built the control board (shown here) and finally after a time of thinking have a design idea for the battery box. Not to mention, if you type in "Gav EV conversion" into utube you'll see more interesting ideas I am going to steal.

Today then I may take one last stab at getting the motor mount off the old engine, but it seems well attached and the bolts are buried under the crankshaft pulley which has a massive bolt I have no wrench for. So, I may just get Mike Montgomery here (the welder everyone reveres here) to fashion a mount. I also may have to pick up the motor and other parts in Ft. Wayne as I see the tracker says "Delivery complete". I also may include w/ my shock purchase a trip to the home store to get materials for the battery boxes. Seems to be coming along but I think I am in for a lot more complication once I start building the system and putting it together.

No comments: