Jun 27, 2008

Whew, finally....

Around noon I lowered this from the jackstands and drove it off of the slab and around the block. What a relief. Humorously I thought I had no reverse gear (and needed a forward/reverse switch), but then remembered VW has the stick push/shift for reverse.

This sight is one I've been waiting for for a long time, to see it on its first charge. Now I just need to register it w/ the State of Missouri and get a motor mount (right now the motor is secured by a strong rachet strap). Quite relieved and excited, though that's a bit understated. I'll be now spending time fixing up some of the rust and other things I put off to get this thing roadside.

In short, it took me about 100 hours of actual physical labor time to get this far, though the mental labor time started somewhere in early April and is on-going. I was given this car by my closest friends, who are generous and supportive people. They didn't want to deal with the mechanical issues but wanted it 'in the family'. I didn't want to deal with used car issues either, so I converted it, thus eliminating most of the issues I hate working on w/ cars (e.g. fuel pumps, oil seals, head gaskets, radiators, water pumps, etc, etc).

As an homage to my voltmeter wire, I'll leave this as a reminder to myself to not stop thinking.

4 comments:

onesojourner said...

I am glad to see you made it. I youtube video would be appropriate now. I would like to see it in action. I may have missed it but whet turned out to be your problem? I am looking forward to hearing how the performance is.

fungua mlango said...

I used quick splice connectors instead of butt connectors on one of the connections from the ignition switch via the potbox to the secondary contactor. So, I learned the ultimate rookie lesson - recheck wiring, test w/ multi-meter, and recheck again...

Anonymous said...

Congrats,

Exciting times... I just got my Orange Squareback going on 96 volts...will hop it up to 120 this weekend and get a video going for you tube...will post more pictures on my web site next week... to busy working on it to post...

does yours rattle a lot... mine seems to...

Robert
kravontka@snet.net
nuts and volts VW

fungua mlango said...

Looking forward to seeing the pics on yours. Mine doesn't rattle a lot, actually the only noises I hear are the axles (need lubricating) and the brakes. 120v is probably better for this car as it is a bit on the heavy side for 96v.