Jul 4, 2008

Driving around

I'm thankfully noticing that my range is improving and the climbing of hills out here a bit more possible. Not that I've been unable to climb some (I never thought Kansas City, MO had hills), but I did find out that the classic high-pitched sound you hear when just pressing the accelerator should not be heard past 0-3mph. I heard it and was told that is the controller 'going thermal' (meaning almost overheating). Not good, so I've got to either shed some weight or drive more conservatively. The car needs some brake work done, so that is next. And the ratchet strap that is acting as a motor mount needs to be replaced w/ something more permanent. But overall, wow, what a fun ride. You can barely see it, but I put an oval "EV" sticker on the back of the car for identification. Already I've had some hilarious encounters w/ people wondering why they don't hear the classic VW engine noise or 'what's all those wires in the back?'.

No comments: