Jun 24, 2008

There, but....troubleshooting begins

Well, I finally have the cables cut, stripped, connectors crimped, connected, insulated, etc...Everything I can tell is now done, but when I press on the pedal, the motor doesn't turn over. I'm a bit perplexed and hope my motor isn't bad. I'm going to do some thinking tonight but I am hugely relieved to have the battery pack all hooked up and registering on my voltmeter at 96V+ (which is just what I thought via my testing on a few individual batteries). Now it is just figuring out if my controller is bad, my motor is bad, or if some of my more minor wiring is done wrong and impeding a full test. The one thing I'm worried about is that the transmission isn't engaging b/c the gearbox was misaligned w/ my ICE engine removal or that my mounting of motor was done incorrectly. The second doesn't seem to be anything too big to address as it is only four bolts to get the motor off. More later....

2 comments:

Mark R. Maher DDS said...

Have you tried bypassing the controller to rule out a bad motor? I think many controllers (esp Zilla) practically need the stars to align to put juice to the motor because of so many safety provisions (not a bad thing).

Thanks for documenting, I really want to do my own sometime in the next year or two (or sooner if gas prices keep escalating). After seeing your squareback conversion I've gotten the itch to do a Thing conversion. Lightweight, kinda weird, and one of very few 4-door convertibles ever made. Best of luck!

fungua mlango said...

That's a good idea, maybe I'll try that today. First I'm going to check and see if the motor is bad and if I attached it correctly to the transmission by running the motor w/ a 12V battery. Then if that doesn't work, I'll try your suggestion as my one test, from B+ and M- terminals didn't show any juice.

Thanks for looking and commenting. The Thing would be a sweet conversion, I saw one on EV album that was done up quite nice.