Jun 25, 2008

Not w/ a bang, but a whimper

Today was painfully ended by the darkness when I think I may actually be at the point that I can lower the car off the jackstands and drive it off this pad. It is a long (and probably boring) story of today's work, but I am hopeful that tomorrow will be the day...

Here's the short (or possibly medium) version. I thought I had a bad controller or that my motor-transmission connection was bad and thankfully, it was neither. I did the 12V battery test to the motor first thing this morning and was delighted to see the wheels turnover. Then, after some troubleshooting w/ Bob at EV America (who has been in this business at least 20 years was himself confused), he suggested to bypass the relay and the KLK fuse and go from the KSI terminal directly to the secondary contactor on the positive (battery) side. Did this w/ some spare jumper cables and viola, when I depressed the pedal the wheels turned over and I heard the high-pitched whirl I've read about.

So, this afternoon I worked all through trying to find out how to fix my input wiring issue. Thankfully, nothing in the 2/0 cable run is miswired. Everything checks out. To omit what is actually the long part to the explanation of this day's work, I think I had the negative side (going to the auxiliary battery, controller fan, and both contactors' negative spade terminals) miswired. This is what I am hoping is wrong, b/c everything else I've checked seems to be showing me that this is where the circuit from the potbox (when I depress the accelerator pedal) is incomplete and thus not sending the signal to the motor from the controller....

We'll see...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

DUDE!!!
Congrats on the spinning of the tires! Major Milestone!

fungua mlango said...

Thanks Hank, it was exciting to see, but I wish that the input wiring issues would have been resolved so I could have avoided my crazy mistake...