Jul 15, 2008

Battle over EV insurance

We are currently trying to get this car insured, so it can be registered and inspected in the State of Missouri (aka street legal), and finding that insurance companies (Geico, Progressive [ironic], Liberty Mutual [doesn't that read 'together we are free?', State Farm, et al) are downright ignorant about insuring a vehicle that does not run on gasoline. I'm not speaking of the individual sales people (most were interested and delightfully shocked that this is possible), but the institutional rules they are constrained by.

I'll spare you the boring details, but I'm finding many suggest not telling the agent the car is electric-powered (and converted by me, not a certified mechanic), which I think is a bad idea as I don't want to get into an accident (esp. if it is my fault) and find out I'm paying for everything b/c the details weren't properly agreed to.

I can only imagine I'll find something but still, the what-if of not finding insurance makes me nervous.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried insuring it with a company that specializes in "classic car" insurance? You could consider this a custom "hot rod" and get insurance according to the value of the car, not what's driving the wheels. Do a search on the web for classic car insurance and see what you find. Good luck.