Jul 6, 2008

Newsflash: Brake work improves range

So if I would have totally worked through a brake issue I ignored 4 years ago (b/c the pedal seemed stiff enough), and then re-ignored starting again in April, my initial range would have been dramatically different. Thankfully, I jacked up the front end and found out that they are rubbing quite a bit and slowing down the driving a lot. I'm breaking down and having someone look over the front brakes, calipers, and hoses since that is clearly where the problem is (from evidence of heating up wheels, noise, and severe brake pad wearing over 15-20 miles driven). I'm quite excited, as I think that what I took to be a battery/motor range issue is actually a mechanical issue.

This seems to be a pattern here - w/ my wiring issue, my range issue, my motor issue - simple solutions that I overlook in my haste to get this running....

2 comments:

Noisome said...

Congratulations or getting a better run! I have been following your story for quite some time and am relieved that you're pretty much there.

I am right behind you with my own Squareback and will make a semi-detailed report with what I'm doing as well soon.

http://www.digital52.com/vw

fungua mlango said...

Wow Jeffry, excellent Squareback. I'll be excited to see how you end up doing your conversion. Please send me the address when you start reporting/blogging on your progress (if it is different from the one you posted here).