Jul 11, 2008

A huge sigh of relief

I just climbed a relatively long incline and actually hit 45mph in 3rd gear doing so. Thanks to Tom and Bob at Vee Village (on 16th and Oak in KC) for all their knowledge and helpful work, I now not only have a re-built front braking system (complete w/ new calipers and hoses), but, to top it off, a stellar motor mount. Little did I know (another recurring theme here) that the torque of the motor was only being absorbed by the transaxles and the soft rubber 'mountpoint' of the transmission (not really load bearing or made to twist). Thus, I was not only loosing acceleration power due to my locked front calipers (creating serious wheel drag), but the full torque of the motor wasn't being utilized properly. Notice too Tom's great design in putting arms for strength from the back of the motor to the adapter plate mountpoint. These will double as a place to attach a water protection shield for the motor and control board. Needless to say, I now feel this car is roadworthy...well, almost - now I need to properly register it. Thanks again Vee Village!

2 comments:

Mark R. Maher DDS said...

Wow, way to go!

Nice update. Looks like your interminable project prediction happily didn't come true. Let us know how the battery pack murdering comes along, supposedly a mandatory on the first pack, right? :)

fungua mlango said...

Yes, well at least not yet. And so far the batteries are in the stages of giving me more range after every charge, so hopefully they won't switch that trajectory anytime soon.