Apr 27, 2008

I've never dropped a VW engine and all in all, the Clymer instructions were good (my ordered copies of Bentley's and Chilton's are on there way). I'm hoping I labeled the wires correctly but I'm assuming that I can backtrack the wire to insure its proper function.

I worked for about 4 hours yesterday and was moving along right on schedule, motivated (interpret: rushed) by another Squareback site that said s/he dropped the engine in 3 hours. About 1 hour into the work I made THE mistake and that was to not step back and think through the bell housing bolts and what are referred to as the 'upper front engine mount bolts'. The pics in Clymer are terrible so I tried to look at the engine as a whole to see how it was supported, but I should have been keyed in that I had just removed the 'lower engine mount bolts' and not conclude that the 'upper mount bracket bolts' were part of the engine. In short, the engine has one last bolt to go and it is the upper left bolt (if you are looking from back to front).

The weird part is that the nut was just laying on top of the engine, not attached, so I think that there is pressure on the bolt right now. I probably should reattached the motor mount to take off that pressure and hopefully it will loosen by hand. I had the engine jacked up way too high (about 3 inches probably) and now that I think of it, have probably oversupported the transmission.

No comments: