Apr 25, 2008

Reacquaintance on Day One

It has been about 3 years since I've driven the Squareback and it has been sitting in an in-laws barn, thankfully w/ windows shut and doors closed. While dirty, and a few small rust spots, the years have been kind.

I started by sweeping the floor and purchasing a floor jack and two jack stands for dropping the engine, not to mention some disposable gloves that are 'chemically-resistant', a wire stripper/cutter/crimper, and an insulated handle screwdriver.

When I returned from shopping, I began the wire labeling process, drained the oil, drained the gas, and got to the point that I'm ready to drop the engine. I used a small ramp for raising cars and two 2x6's to support the transmission so that when I lower the engine it isn't harmed.

3 hours w/ a few interruptions and some confusion about what the wires stood for as the Clymer manual wasn't superspecific in instructions and diagram-pictures.

Tomorrow I hope to drop the engine and measure the necessary components for getting the adapter plate set and the motor hooked in.

No comments: