Oct 17, 2008

Possible buyer?

This weekend someone is actually coming to look at the car for purchase (in this economy???). I am getting cold feet b/c now I'm growing a bit attached to the car and the ease of use/maintenance. Now that the weather is turning cold here, a few mornings I've had some fog/haziness on the windshield and w/ no heat source, it may be time to install something to be able to see well while I'm driving. I'm going to do some investigation on the toaster coil idea under the dash fan. For $10, I could have enough heat instantly generated for quick defrosting. Plus, I need to re-install insulation around the batteries to keep them from getting too cold overnight. I hear they generate enough of their own heat soon into driving, but coldness reduces initial performance power.


On another note (non-EV project idea), I am toying with the idea of converting my standard mountain bike (21-speed) to a single speed (w/ ultimate goal of purchasing a fixed-gear hub). This minimalist ride appeals to my aesthetic sense and low-maintenance approach. While the hills might make this a challenge, I hear it is a great workout (which I need). Notice the lack of wires, jangling components, etc...We'll see if this pans out, but I am realizing that I should stick by my initial thoughts that my 'commuter car' is just that - for my essential transportation needs. I want to mix things up and this new conversion is a way to insure I am not too reliant on non-human powered transport.

2 comments:

Mark R. Maher DDS said...

I built a SS bike last year and was also 'fixie curious'. Just my two cents - get a Surly or comparable flip-able hub. You can thread a track cog on one side and a regular BMX freewheel on the other. I've found the fixed side to be more of a novelty, not for the extra physical effort, but because it requires constant mental focus -speed bumps, accidentally going off the road, emergency stops, and most other distractions that can go with bike commuting become much more complicated with the fixed gear setup. Nearly ate it big time once when I was pedalling no hands, went to scratch my back, and meant to coast for a bit only to have my legs unexpectedly driven by the cranks throwing me off balance and onto the shoulder. Stupid in retrospect, but a lot of the act of riding is subconscious and fixed riding calls a lot of that onto question. Fun project, though, and yes, oh so aesthetically 'clean.'

fungua mlango said...

That is a great point Mark. That was one major issue I felt was a drawback to the fixed gear: one cannot always anticipate potholes, bumps, etc. and if in mid-pedal, might be off-balance enough to bail. I think the flip-able hub is what I will probably go w/ for the novelty of the fixed and the practicality of the SS. Thanks again.