Aug 24, 2008

Update on progress

I start teaching this Wednesday, so I am making some final adjustments and additions so that my Squareback is ready for constant use. I have been putting a good amount of miles on it in the past month and w/ all the hills here in Kansas City (never thought there would be before I moved here), the biggest issue I have to pay attention to is the temperature of the controller. I can't let it sit out in the sun and really need a second fan to cool it. But, I put a reflective sheet over it when not driving and find that is sufficient. I really notice a loss in power when I start out with it warm from sunlight. Which makes me wonder why they didn't build these as white instead of black.

I installed my ammeter in its permanent place tonight - where the analog clock used to be. After I get the voltmeter installed (where the fuel gauge is), I'll take a pic of the finished dash, along w/ a picture of my other final additions - a rain guard for the control board and motor. This has been the biggest headache as I've no idea what to use that can be installed in a non-standard environment. There are lots of curves and angles, so my attempts at using metal have just been frustrating. I'm also going to paint the wheels a metallic color due to some rust on them and I'll do some bodywork touch-up w/ VW paint.

I took out the spare, jack, and other random stuff today (around 40lbs total I think) as a way to lighten the vehicle, and I'm considering taking out a seat or even the backseat. Not sure I want to, but it might help my range. I'm also going to keep closer data now that I'll be driving more often, so I'll post that when I get some more refined numbers. Right now, it looks like I discharge about 50% when I go 16-18 miles to/from work. I average about 35 mph and run around 250amps. The amperage is relative as I coast a lot going to work and climb back uphill more often coming back.

No comments: